ThreadX OS replace with Linux in FX3 board

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I wanna to know I can replaced threadx Os/ kernal with Linux Os / kernal in FX3 perpeheral

controller / Development board. Please tell me threadx OS is neccsary for buliding application.

0 Likes
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Yes. ThreadX OS is needed as FX3 firmware is developed based on the same.

It is not recommended to use any other.

Thanks,

sai krishna.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply,

Please solve my another query, What is the meaning of  FX3 SDK
 support linux/ window /mac os?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

If you are using Windows OS in your PC then you need to use FX3 SDK for Windows. That will be containing the USB drivers and applications that can work on a PC with Windows OS. Also the FX3 firmware building tools for Windows.

If you want to use a PC with Linux OS then you need to download FX3 SDK for Linux.

But in all cases, FX3 fimrware will be using ThreadX OS only. ThreadX OS is part of the FX3 fimrware that you get along with the FX3 SDK.

Regards,

sai kirshna.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing fruitful knowledge

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sai

If I make Cypress FX3 board as USB device with Linux OS, which already has USB driver support. So, is it not sufficient to talk with a USB host? Or is there something specific usage of ThreadX Kernal in FX3 firmware?

Is it like API gets compiled with Linux OS and while communicating, OS will use FX3 firmware (Treadx) instead of Linux USB driver?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

If you connect a standard class USB device to a PC then you don't need any special driver from Cypress.

But when you connect FX3 DVK to PC then it will enumerate as a vendor class device. Then you need your own driver to talk to it; at least for programming FX3 device to function as per your application need.

Cypress is providing that driver (is developed based on Libusb) and an application that runs in Linux to program the FX3 device.

Data path is as follows (during development):

Consider the OS installed in the PC is Linux.

PC application provided by Cypress -> Driver in PC provided by Cypress (based on libusb) -> Low level standard USB drivers (part of Linux) -> FX3 device with firmware which is developed based on ThreadX OS to do different tasks as per the application need.

Please refer to the attached document for more details on the tools provided by Cypress for Linux platform.

Thanks,

sai krishna.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is not allowing me to attach a document.

So please refer to the doc foler present in the FX3 SDK for Linux platform (FX3_SDK_B81\cyusb_linux_1.0.2\cyusb_linux_1.0.2\docs)

Thanks,

sai krishna.

0 Likes