Key Features of the Cypress® USB-Serial Bridge Controller - KBA85909

Version: *C

Question:

What are the key features of the Cypress® USB-Serial Bridge Controller? 

Answer:

The Cypress USB-Serial Bridge Controller is the industry’s first and only configurable USB bridge solution that has two serial channels that can be independently configured to a UART, I2C, or SPI interface. The USB-Serial bridge controllers integrate CapSense® capacitive-touch sensing technology (supports up to 8 touch-sensing buttons) and USB-IF Battery Charging specification ver. 1.2 (to detect the source of power on the USB port). The Cypress USB-Serial Bridge Controller offers the following industry-leading features.

Configurable Dual Serial Channels

The CY7C6521x family features up to two configurable serial communication blocks (SCBs). Each SCB can be configured to work as a UART, I2C, or SPI interface. 

UART

• Full duplex data rates up to 3 Mbps.
  • Supports 7 or 8 data bits and 1 or 2 stop bits.
  • Parity can be configured as odd, even, mark, space or no parity.
  • 256 Byte Tx and Rx buffers.

I2C

• Master/Slave modes, clock frequency up to 400 kHz.
  • Supports multi-master configuration.

SPI

• Master/Slave modes, clock frequency up to 3 MHz.
  • Supports Motorola SPI, TI SSP and National Semiconductor Microwire (half-duplex SPI).
  • Supports transaction sizes ranging from 4 bits to 16 bits in length.

USB Interface

The USB interface is compliant to Full-speed USB 2.0 specifications (data rate up to 12 Mbps). It supports Communication Driver Class (CDC), Personal Healthcare Device Class (PHDC), and USB Vendor Class.

Battery Charger Detection

USB-Serial Bridge Controllers support Battery Charger Detection (BCD) compliant to USB-IF Battery Charging specification Rev 1.2. This facilitates faster battery charging for embedded applications. The following modes are supported:

• USB Standard Downstream Port: 100/500 mA
  • USB Charging Downstream Port: 1500 mA
  • USB Dedicated Charging Port: 1500 mA

The Industry’s Best Capacitive Touch Sensing

USB-Serial Bridge Controllers integrate Cypress CapSense technology to support capacitive touch-sensing buttons. CapSense features SmartSense™ Auto-tuning and Waterproofing for high-reliability touch sensing. CY7C65215 and CY7C65211 support CapSense touch sensing in all GPIOs. CY7C65215 can support up to 8 touch-sensing buttons and CY7C65211 can support up to 5 touch-sensing buttons. CapSense is not supported on CY7C65213.

Lowest Power Solution

USB-Serial Bridge Controllers have industry’s lowest stand-by current consumption (5 μA) among bridge controllers, making them ideal for battery operated solutions. The active current consumption is in the 15 mA range.

Support for Multiple Operating Systems

The USB-Serial solution supports the following operating systems:

• Windows 8.1: 32- and 64-bit versions
  • Windows 8: 32- and 64-bit versions
  • Windows 7: 32- and 64-bit versions
  • Windows Vista: 32- and 64-bit versions
  • Windows XP: 32- and 64-bit versions
  • Windows CE: 4.2 and later versions
  • Windows 2000, Windows 98SE
  • Windows Server 2012, 2008, 2003
  • Mac OS-X: 10.6 and later versions
  • Linux: Kernel 2.6.35 and later versions
  • Android: Gingerbread and later versions

Flexible and Easy to Configure

The Cypress USB-Serial solution comes with an easy-to-use Configuration Utility, which allows the customer to easily configure the device parameters such as VID/PID, product descriptor, manufacturer string descriptor, power modes, GPIOs, UART, I2C, SPI, Battery Charger Detection (BCD) and CapSense.

Table 1 explains the feature differences between the three parts of the USB-Serial Bridge Controller family:

Table 1. Differences Between the Three Parts of the USB-Serial Bridge Controller Family

FeaturesCY7C65213CY7C65211CY7C65215
USB-UARTSingle Channel (UART/I2C/SPI)Dual Channels (UART/I2C/SPI)
Serial Channels112
UARTYesYesYes
I2CNoYesYes
SPINoYesYes
USB-IF BC Revision 1.2YesYesYes
CapSense ButtonsNone58
GPIOs81017
JTAG MasterNoNoYes
UART Pins82/4/62/4/6
Industrial TempYesYesYes
Package32-QFN
    28-SSOP