USB-Serial Bridge Controller Managing I/Os using API – KBA92641

Version: **

Question: How can I control USB-Serial Bridge Controller I/Os using APIs?

Answer:

The USB-Serial Bridge Controller supports I/O control using APIs in Windows, Linux, Android and Mac-OS systems. The USB-Serial bridge controller supports four I/O modes — Input, Tristate, Drive1 and Drive 0. All the I/O lines are “tri-stated” by default in firmware and can be configured by using the Cypress USB-Serial Configuration Utility. You can retrieve the status of the input GPIO by using the CyGetGPIOValue() API and set the status of GPIO to Drive 1 or Drive 0 by using the CySetGPIOValue() API.

Refer to the Cypress USB-Serial API Guide for more information on these APIs.

Please note that Input and Tristate I/O mode can be set only by using the Cypress USB-Serial Configuration Utility. See the USB-Serial Software Development Kit for complete documentation.

Example Code:

This code demonstrates the usage of the GPIO control APIs: CyGetGPIOValue() and CySetGPIOValue(). This code initiates the library and detects the Cypress USB-Serial Device. After detection, it sets the value of GPIO1 to 0. After setting value of GPIO to 0, it retrieves value of GPIO1. Please note again that all GPIOs are set to Tristate by default.

int main() {     CY_HANDLE handle;     Unsigned int device;     CY_RETURN_STATUS rStatus;     CY_DEVICE_INFO deviceInfo;     rStatus = CyLibraryInit (); //Initates Cypress Library    if (rStatus != CY_SUCCESS)     {         printf ("CY:Error in Doing library init Error NO:<%d> \n", rStatus);         return rStatus;     }     device = findCypressDevice(); //This function is used to detect Cypress device connected to USB bus.    if (device < 0)     {         return 0;     }     rStatus = CyGetDeviceInfo(device, &deviceInfo); //This API is used to get information(VID,PID) about detected Cypress device.      if (rStatus != CY_SUCCESS)     {         return 0;     }     rStatus = CyOpen(device, 0, &handle); //This API is used to open Cypress device (Gets handle of device)    if (rStatus != CY_SUCCESS)     {         return 0;     }     rStatus=CySetGpioValue(handle,1,0); //This API is used to set value of GPIO1 to 0.      if (rStatus == CY_SUCCESS)     {         printf("Value changed");     }     else    {         printf("Not changed");     }       rStatus=CyGetGpioValue(handle,1,&value); //This API is used to retrieve value of GPIO1.      if (rStatus == CY_SUCCESS)     {         printf("Value retrieved %d",value);     }     else    {         printf("Not changed");     }     rStatus= CyClose(handle); //This API is used to close the Cypress device.    if (rStatus == CY_SUCCESS)     {     printf("Device closed");     }     else    {         printf("Not closed");     }     CyLibraryExit (); //This API is used to exit library.}     /* This function is used to get number of connected Cypress Devices */unsigned int getNumberOfDevices(void) {     unsigned int num = 255;       CyGetListofDevices(&num);      return num; } /* This function is used to find Cypress device */int findCypressDevice() {     unsigned int num_devices = getNumberOfDevices();     for (unsigned int curdev = 0; i < num_devices; curdev++)     {          if (isCypressDevice(curdev))              return curdev;     }     return -1; } bool isCypressDevice(int deviceNum) {     CY_HANDLE handle;     unsigned char signature[6];     CY_RETURN_STATUS rStatus;     rStatus = CyOpen (deviceNum, 0, &handle);     if (rStatus != CY_SUCCESS)     {         return false;     }      rStatus = CyGetSignature (handle, signature);     if (rStatus == CY_SUCCESS)     {         CyClose (handle);         return 1;     }     else    {         return 0;     } }