BUS Pirate - Hardware overview - Training for SPI.pdf

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ThYo_2228536
Level 3
Level 3
First like received First like given

When it comes to interfacing Wiced BLE to a SPI device it is important to know how to monitor the SPI data sent between the Master and the Slave(s). More importantly, when you have little to no documentation explaining the SPI communication on the device you want to connect to. While such monitoring device are very costly and cost usually much more than the price of a WICED KIT 700$ and more

(USBEE). I found a very nice piece of hardware called bus pirate which helped me in integrating the SPI driver for Analog Device on the BLE chip and be able to capture 4KB trigger. This device cost 30$ + raimbow cable and let you drive a SPI device in slave mode and even power the device 3.3V or 5V or use another SPI master and just capture SPI trigger. This tutorial is using aardvark as a SPI master or the bus pirate sending command on a terminal to communciate with the aardvark activity board.

The other challenge for my project is that I needed to communicate with 1 slave (the ADC) to read power and 3 other slaves (to read the temperature at each cold junctions for each thermocouple). For this, chip Select and some special wiring and GPIO assignement are needed. Once all the wiring and port on the wiced app are configured properly, you should be able to target an SPI slave using a dedicated pin and port (Chip Select) and then sent some command. You will be able to verify that the data has been sent from the master to the slave and later that some new data has been sent from the slave to the master. This tutorial works for SPI but can also work for I2C.

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

thomasyounsi

Hello thomasyounsi,

Thank you for sharing this tool.

Can you hook it up to the I2C pins of the WICED Sense to show us how you used the tool?

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks

JT

0 Likes