Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob

Defining and Implementing Mode Bits with S25FLxxxS Series Flash - KBA226707

Defining and Implementing Mode Bits with S25FLxxxS Series Flash - KBA226707

Community-Team
Employee
Employee
50 questions asked 10 questions asked 5 questions asked

Author: AlbertB_56      

Translation - Japanese: S25FLxxxSシリーズ フラッシュでのモード ビットの定義と実装 - KBA226707 - Community Translated (JA)

Version: *A

The mode bits eliminate the overhead of SIO instructions when repeating the same type of READ command. The mode bits follow the address to indicate that the next command will be of the same type with implied instruction rather than an explicit instruction. The next command does not provide an instruction byte, but only a new address and mode bits. This reduces the time needed to send each command when the same command type repeats in a sequence of commands. The mode bits might be followed by a read latency period before the READ data is returned to the host. See the S25FL512S or S25FL128S/FL256S datasheet for more details.

The high-performance settings provide latency options that are the same or faster than alternate source SPI memories.  These settings provide mode bits only for the Quad I/O Read command.  The enhanced high-performance settings similarly provide latency options that are the same or faster than additional alternate source SPI memories and add mode bits for the DDR Quad I/O, DDR Dual I/O, DDR Fast, Quad I/O, and Dual I/O READ commands. See the S25FL512S or S25FL128S/FL256S datasheet for more details.

Implementation: In enhanced high-performance settings, mode bits control the length of the appropriate READ (DDR Quad I/O, DDR Dual I/O, DDR Fast, Quad I/O, Dual I/O) operation.  If the upper nibble (I/O[7:4]) and lower nibble (I/O[3:0]) of the ‘Mode Bits’ are complementary, that is 5h and Ah, the device transitions to the appropriate continuous READ operation. The next address can be entered (after CS# is raised high and then asserted low) without requiring the proper READ command. See the S25FL512S or S25FL128S/FL256S datasheet for more details.

The Mode Bit Reset (MBR FFh) command can be used to return the device from continuous high-performance, and enhanced high-performance read modes to the normal standby mode, awaiting any new command. Some device packages do not have a hardware RESET# input. A device in a continuous high-performance read mode may not recognize any standard SPI command, so the device might not recognize a system hardware reset or software reset command. It is recommended to use the MBR command after a system reset when the RESET# signal is not available or before sending a software reset to ensure that the device is released from continuous high-performance read mode. The MBR command sends 1s on SI or I/O0 for eight SCK cycles. I/O1 to I/O3 are “don’t care” during these cycles. See the S25FL512S or S25FL128S/FL256S datasheet for more details.

Note:                                Each READ command ends when CS# returns logic HIGH during data return. During the appropriate continuous READ command selected, if mode bits are not complementary, the next time CS# is raised to logic HIGH and then asserted to logic LOW, the device will be released from the appropriate continuous READ operation.  CS# must not return to logic HIGH during mode bits or dummy cycles before data returns to the host, because this may cause mode bits to be captured incorrectly, making it indeterminate as to whether the device remains in the enhanced high-performance read mode. See the S25FL512S or S25FL128S/FL256S datasheet for more details.

pastedImage_5.png

Figure 1. Continuous DDR Quad I/O Read Subsequent Access (3-Byte Address, HPLC=11b)

pastedImage_6.png

Figure 2. DDR Quad I/O Read Initial Access (4-Byte Address, EEh or Edh [ExtAdd=1], EHPLC=01b)

pastedImage_10.png

Figure 3. Continuous DDR Quad I/O Read Subsequent Access (4-Byte Address, EHPLC=01b)

pastedImage_11.png
Figure 4. Mode Bit (MBR FFh) Reset Command Sequence

0 Likes