Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob

CCG3 FAQS - KBA226666

CCG3 FAQS - KBA226666

Community-Team
Employee
Employee
50 questions asked 10 questions asked 5 questions asked

Author: HirotakaT_91        Version: *F

Hardware

Question: What is the power consumption on the VDDD pin on CCG3?

Answer: If VDDD = 5 V, typical current consumption is 25 mA; for VDDD = 3.3 V, it is approximately 38 mA.

Question: What is the ratings for VBUS_P_CTRL and VBUS_C_CTRL pins on CCG3?

Answer: VBUS_P_CTRL and VBUS_C_CTRL pins have ratings as follows: minimum: 0 V typical: 32 V maximum: 37 V.

Question: Can we use any FET for VBUS instead of DMN3018SSD-13 as mentioned in the CCG3 datasheet?

Answer: You can use any FET if it meets your requirements. If VBUS is supplied with 20 V VBUS, you can consider using DMN3018SSD-13, which has VDSS as 30 V. If VBUS is supplied only 5 V@1.5 A, you can choose an FET which has a spec of VDSS = 8 V, ID = 2 A or similar.

Question: If I do not want to use the CYPD3125 dead battery termination (RD_DB) feature, how should I do?

Answer: Do one of the following:

1. Consider using CYPD3135 or other CCGx devices which do not have RD_DB.
  2. Insert N-FET on CC lines to prevent them from seeing RD_DB from the source side. You can choose an N-FET that has a spec of VDSS = 8 V or similar because CC lines are supplied with 5 V. N-FET should be controlled by EC, not CCG3.
    Note: In case of inserting an N-FET on CC lines, ensure that the N-FET does not violate CC lines capacitance specification. Per USB Power Delivery Specification, the CC receiver capacitance must meet between 200 – 600 pF. You need to pay attention to the effective input capacitance (Ciss) parameter of the N-FET and ensure that Ciss is preferably below 200 pF when VDS is 0 V.

Question: Which capacitor can I use for the CC1/CC2 line? What are these capacitors used for?

Answer: Use 330 pF or 390 pF capacitor. These are used for keeping good signal quality at the signaling rate of 300 kHz.

Question: Why does CCG3 use two independent VBUS_x_CTRL0/1 pins?

Answer: Because it is used for implementing pseudo soft start. If you do not need soft start, you do not need to use VBUS_x_CTRL1.

Question: Does CCG3 have VBUS-to-CC short protection?

Answer: There is no VBUS-to-CC short protection. If you need the short protection, connect an additional short protection IC between CCG3 and Type-C connector.

Question: If a CCG3 GPIO is supplied power from an MCU output before powering CCG3, will CCG3 be damaged?

Answer: There is a possibility that CCG3 and peripherals may be damaged because voltage supplied from GPIO will leak to the VDDIO. Redesign your system to avoid this situation.

Otherwise, add an FET between the CCG3 GPIO and MCU output. Control the FET to connect the CCG3 GPIO to MCU output after CCG3 is supplied power.

Question: Does CCG3 follow the discharge resistance defined as Rdch in USB Type-C specification?

Answer: Yes, Rdch is supported by the RD termination resistor by firmware. The range of this RD termination resistor is 4.59 (min) - 5.1 (typ) - 5.61 (max) k ohms. It meets the Rdch requirement in USB Type-C specification.

Question: How should I connect pull up/pull down resistors on AUX/SBU lines if I am using the CCG3 internal SBU switch?

Answer: CCG3 provides firmware configurable pull up/pull down resistors for the AUX_P, AUX_N pins, i.e. on the Display Port source or sink side. The appropriate values should be selected based on the type of device as defined in the Display Port specification. These can also be disabled through the firmware if you are adding external resistors on your board.

However, there is no option to internally set the terminations on the SBU1, SBU2 pins, i.e. on the Type-C connector side so they should be added externally.

Question: Does CCG3 support both edge-triggered and level-triggered GPIO interrupts?

Answer: No, CCG3 only supports edge-triggered interrupts by using a dedicated interrupt for a GPIO. Refer to the TRM for more details.

Software

Question: I created a configuration with the EZ-PD Configuration Utility as Generic Type and tried to program to CY4531, but it cannot program it to CY4531. Why cannot it program?

Answer: By default, CY4531 is programmed with the ‘notebook’ firmware. Firmware type and configuration type must be the same because the configuration table varies depending on the firmware type. Use the ‘notebook’ type or change the firmware. EZ-PD Configuration Utility will use different templates and nodes according to APP_TYPE.

If you must use the configuration as "Generic", you must change APP_TYPE in the app_version.h file.

Question: Is it possible to edit a .cyacd file directly using a text editor?

Answer: No. The only way that you can modify a .cyacd file is to use the EZ-PD Configuration Utility.

Question: What does a .cyacd file contain?

Answer: It contains everything that is contained in a .hex file except the Bootloader. In the case of CCG3, because there are two firmware images, the .cyacd file has information for either firmware 1 or firmware 2.

Question: How should the DisplayPort parameters be set in the EZ-PD Configuration Utility in case of DisplayPort Source and Sink configuration?

Answer: When CCG3 is configured as a DFP, i.e., a DisplayPort Source, the supported modes should be set as follows:

pastedImage_5.png

When CCG3 is configured as a UFP, i.e., a DisplayPort Sink, the supported modes should be set under the DisplayPort SVID (0xFF01) as per the format in the DisplayPort specification.

pastedImage_6.png

Related Documents

Datasheets:

Technical Reference Manual (TRM):

Guides:

Frequently accessed Knowledge Base Articles:

0 Likes
Contributors