CCG3 FAQS - KBA226666

Author: HirotakaT_91        Version: *B

Hardware

Question: What is the max power consumption on the VDDD pin on CCG3?

Answer: If VDDD = 5 V, current consumption is up to 25 mA; for VDDD = 3.3 V, it is approximately 38 mA.

Question: What is the ratings for VBUS_P_CTRL and VBUS_C_CTRL pins on CCG3?

Answer: VBUS_P_CTRL and VBUS_C_CTRL pins have ratings as follows: minimum: 0 V typical: 32 V maximum: 37 V.

Question: Can we use any FET for VBUS instead of DMN3018SSD-13 as mentioned in the CCG3 datasheet?

Answer: You can use any FET if it meets your requirements. If VBUS is supplied with 20 V VBUS, you can consider using DMN3018SSD-13, which has VDSS as 30 V. If VBUS is supplied only 5 V@1.5 A, you can choose an FET which has a spec of VDSS = 8 V, ID = 2 A or similar.

Question: Why does CCG3 use two independent VBUS_x_CTRL0/1 pins?

Answer: Because it is used for implementing pseudo soft start. If you do not need soft start, you do not need to use VBUS_x_CTRL1.

Question: Can I supply voltage to GPIO pins before supplying power to VDD/VDDIO pins?

Answer: Yes, you can because GPIOs are configured as High-impedance analog mode.

Question: If I do not want to use the CYPD3125 dead battery termination (RD_DB) feature, how should I do?

Answer: Do one of the following:

1. Consider using CYPD3135 or other CCGx devices which do not have RD_DB.
  2. Insert N-FET on CC lines to prevent them from seeing RD_DB from the source side. You can choose an N-FET that has a spec of VDSS = 8 V or similar because CC lines are supplied with 5 V. N-FET should be controlled by EC, not CCG3.

Question: Which capacitor can I use for the CC1/CC2 line? What are these capacitors used for?

Answer: Use 330 pF or 390 pF capacitor. These are used for keeping good signal quality at the signaling rate of 300 kHz.

Software

Question: I created a configuration with the EZ-PD Configuration Utility as Generic Type and tried to program to CY4531, but it cannot program it to CY4531. Why cannot it program?

Answer: By default, CY4531 is programmed with the ‘notebook’ firmware. Firmware type and configuration type must be the same because the configuration table varies depending on the firmware type. Use the ‘notebook’ type or change the firmware. EZ-PD Configuration Utility will use different templates and nodes according to APP_TYPE.

If you must use the configuration as "Generic", you must change APP_TYPE in the app_version.h file.

Question: Is it possible to edit a .cyacd file directly using a text editor?

Answer: No. The only way that you can modify a .cyacd file is to use the EZ-PD Configuration Utility.

Question: What does a .cyacd file contain?

Answer: It contains everything that is contained in a .hex file except the Bootloader. In the case of CCG3, because there are two firmware images, the .cyacd file has information for either firmware 1 or firmware 2.

Related Documents

Datasheets:

EZ-PD™ CCG3 Datasheet: USB Type-C Controller with Power Delivery

Guides:

Frequently accessed Knowledge Base Articles: