How can I select an SPI Flash part compatible with FX3/CX3/FX3S/FX2G2/SD3/SD2? What are the Cypress SPI Flash parts compatible with FX3/CX3/FX3S/FX2G2/SD3/SD2 devices?
FX3/CX3/FX3S/FX2G2/SD3/SD2 is compatible with SPI Flash, if Flash meets the following guidelines:
- Flash size: 1 Kbit to 128 Mbit in size
- Supply Voltage: 1.7 V to 3.6 V
- Command set: SPI flash should support the following commands to support FX3 boot:
- Read data: 03h with 3 bytes addressing
- Read Status register: 05h
- Write Enable: 06h
- Write data (Page Program): 02h
- Sector Erase: D8h
SPI Flash can be used for FX3 boot if the read commands match. If there are any differences in the write commands, then programming of that SPI Flash will not be successful with the default programmer utility (USB Control Center Utility) provided by Cypress. For successful programming of SPI Flash, the firmware binary file used by the utility must be rebuilt with the modified write commands. Hence, Cypress recommends using a SPI flash compatible with the above read/write command set.
Here are the Cypress SPI part numbers compatible with FX3/CX3/FX3S/FX2G2/SD3/SD2: