Make sure you have the development kit running correctly first. Here're the steps to get the dev kit up and running:
- Power the board
- Connect the RS232 cable from the computer to the board.
- Open the Cypress M8 Monitor software. Go to Communications/Comm Port and make sure the RS232 is connected to the right COM port.
- Set the S1 and S3 switch settings as follows. On some boards we have "Open" or "Close" labels for the switches, but others may show "Off" or "On".
Position 1: Off (or Open)- Enable USB Bus Reset
Positions 2,3,4,5: On (or Closed)- Disable WatchDog Reset, Cext,..
Position 6,7,8: Off (or Open)- Default
Positions 1,2: Off (or Open)- Program RAM and Run on Reset
Positions 3 to 8: On (or Closed)- Default
- From the M8 Monitor, click on "Dnld Object". Choose a known working firmware such as the mouse reference design and download the .rom file onto the board. You should see the file being downloaded now.
- Hit the Red button on the board to reset the board. This step is IMPORTANT!!! Do not forget.
- Plug the USB cable from the computer to the board.
- Go to My Computer/Device Manager. You should see the mouse being detected under the Mouse section.