Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob

Burst Counter Operation and chip disabled for synchronous dual port SRAM's

Burst Counter Operation and chip disabled for synchronous dual port SRAM's

Anonymous
Not applicable
Question: If I do a read or write of a number of words and I use the internal counter (ie load the counter start address on the first word and then count after that), but I only give a CE (chip enable) every other clock; will I read data from consecutive address locations every other clock?  An example: For a burst read -- first clock load counter, second clock do nothing, third clock give chip enable and read first data, fourth clock do nothing, fifth clock give chip enable and read second data (next one in memory after first), sixth clock do nothing, seventh clock give chip enable and read third data, etc.  Note that output enable and counter enable will always be active. Could you confirm this for me?

Answer:

The counter advances based upon the rising edge of clock and not CE0# nor CE1, so in this example, assuming a free running clock:

Clock cycle

Operation

ADS#

CNTEN#

Internal Counter value

1st

Load counter

low

low

--

2nd

Do nothing

high

low

address

3rd

Read

high

low

address +1

4th

Do nothing

high

low

address +2

5th

Read

high

low

address +3

6th

Do nothing

high

low

address +4

As the table above shows, you end up reading out every other word.

0 Likes
Contributors