Use BCM9WCD1EVAL1 base evaluation board with BCM943362WCD4 module to interface with UART to send and receive messages. WICED evaluation board UART1 or UART2 is configured to receive data into the ring buffer. Data received from the ring buffer (Rx) is forwarded to the webpage served by the WICED evaluation board. Outgoing messages (Tx) are initiated by the webpage and sent on the UART selected.
The "#define USE_UART2_AS_SERIAL_PORT" definition controls the UART selection at compilation.
If USE_UART2_AS_SERIAL_PORT is defined then the UART2 is utilized to send and receive serial port data. If it is not defined then the UART1 is used for serial port send and receive.
In either case, the UART1 is used for displaying log messages.
1. To connect the UART2 to PC the below setup is used. Note that it is not a complete schematic.
For UART1 connection, WICED evaluation board implements the UART1 connection to PC via USB connection and drivers already located at Wiced SDK .../Drivers/BCM9WCD1EVAL1_Drivers location.
2. You need to create directory structure as shown below:
Then paste the files from the attached zip file to the corresponding directories.
3. Update .../Apps/snip/uart_rxtx/wifi_config_dct.h to be able to connect to your WiFi AP.
#define CLIENT_AP_SSID "CLIENT_AP_SSID"
#define CLIENT_AP_PASSPHRASE "CLIENT_AP_PASSPHRASE"
4. In "Make Target" window Build and download the UART sample application to the target.
snip.uart_rxtx-BCM943362WCD4 download run
So you will now have a "Make Target" like the above picture.
5. Setup serial terminal application on PC to connect UART1 and UART2 of the WICED evaluation board.
Below is an example of TeraTerm:
Since the WicedSerial.exe serial terminal app is not setup to echo typed characters on the terminal, perhaps other terminal applications could be used with echo turned on.
6. Build, download, and run the application by double clicking "snip.uart_rxtx-BCM943362WCD4 download run" in "Make Target".
7. Below is the setup and run using the UART2 of the WICED evaluation board where USE_UART2_AS_SERIAL_PORT is defined, "#define USE_UART2_AS_SERIAL_PORT".
Hardware setup used:
Here is the user interface after sending and receiving UART2 messages via webpage.
8. Below is the setup and run using the UART1 of the WICED evaluation board where USE_UART2_AS_SERIAL_PORT is NOT defined by simply commenting it out, "//#define USE_UART2_AS_SERIAL_PORT".
Hardware setup used:
Here is the user interface after sending and receiving UART1 messages via webpage.
UartRxTx.7z.zip 5.5 K