This BLOG is a short introduction for configuring the TAG3 board for use with the Serial FLASH.
This information is taken from our TAG3 document Manual : The specified item was not found. and our Quick Start Guide The specified item was not found.
1. The TAG3 board contains a Serial FLASH device and can be configured with a few resistor modifications and additions:
See the TAG3 Board below:
2. TAG3 Board Assembly displaying the resistor installation/modifications for the on board Serial FLASH:
3. The table below defines the resistors to configure the Serial FLASH:
4. You will need to place the SW4 switches 5,6,7,8 in the OFF position (They are actually show in the ON Position in this photo):
5. In the SDK you will need to modify your Make Target to include NV=SFLASH:
Note: In this case we have used COM Port 21 as observed in our Windows Device Manager:
5. Using the Recovery Procedure from the The specified item was not found. document, your recovering console message should look like the following:
A few extra notes about Serial FLASH:
You will need to use the same Macronix Serial Flash that is supported by the ROM and ships on the TAG3 board. Please see the schematic snippet below:
The Macronix MX25U4033 device works as well if you needed a second option.
Please see the notes below:
MX25U4033: https://www.macronix.com/en-us/products/NOR-Flash/Serial-NOR-Flash/Pages/spec.aspx?p=MX25U4033E&m=Serial%20NOR%20Flash&n… (good for new designs)
MX25U4035: https://www.macronix.com/en-us/products/NOR-Flash/Serial-NOR-Flash/Pages/spec.aspx?p=MX25U4035&m=Serial%20NOR%20Flash&n=… (not recommended for new designs)