This case study is from Lantronix, our strategic ecosystem partner and a leader in providing reliable Wi-Fi/Bluetooth modules powered by Cypress wireless, along with a suite of built-in-device enterprise-grade security software.
Case Study Technology Focuses
- Features the Lantronix xPico 240 Embedded IoT Gateway
- Hosts the Cypress CYW43907 Dual-Band (2.4/5 GHz) 802.11n Wi-Fi MCU with integrated Arm® Cortex®-R4 and 2MB RAM.
Case Study Description
Delivering Smart Connectivity to Industrial Weighing Scales
Connected weighing scales and POS systems have been deployed in the retail environment for many years. Serial hard wire or Ethernet has commonly been the connectivity method used. In today’s highly dynamic retail space, quick configuration of the store and the various departments is required to enable rapid product/services changes. This makes wired connectivity more and more inconvenient to maintain and even potentially detrimental to business fluidity.
This case study explores a global manufacturer of industrial and commercial weighing scales that needed an industrial-grade, reliable, and secure enterprise Wi-Fi solution for building commercial weighing machines to be used in diverse retail environments. The smart, connected industrial weighing scales would be used in retail stores and would wirelessly communicate accurate weight and pricing information of items to the retailer’s point of sale systems throughout the day. This customer needed a globally certified solution that would mitigate significant product validation and re-certification risks and cost – in addition to implementing wireless connectivity and security upon which they could depend.
The customer’s ideal solution was the Lantronix xPico 240 Embedded IoT Gateway hosting Cypress’ CYW43907 Dual-Core Arm Cortex-R4 Dual-Band (2.4/5 GHz) 802.11n Wi-Fi MCU. This module provides world-class dual-band Wi-Fi, antenna diversity, Enterprise Wi-Fi security and industrial-grade wireless connectivity management enabling rapid time to market.
The winning features of the xPico 240 include:
- Hosting the Cypress CYW43907, providing world-class wireless performance in challenging RF environments through an integrated Arm® Cortex®-R4 with 2MB of RAM combined with a high performance Dual-Band (2.4/5 GHz) 802.11n Wi-Fi radio
- Being in the Lantronix xPico module series: Comes pre-loaded with firmware that includes secure wireless network connectivity options such as the complete set of EAP authentication protocols. There is an SDK available if unique features or customizations are also required
- Delivering a compact footprint with full certifications making integration into the product design easy and fast
With these features, the smart weighing scales customer was able to build a market-ready prototype quicker, reduce total cost of development, go to production faster, and deliver a comprehensive solution to market on time.
Want to get started with the Lantronix xPico 240? Here is how:
- Purchase a xPico 240 Eval Kit: XPC240300EK
- Download the xPico 240 Eval Kit Quick Start Guide
- Review the resources below and contact Lantronix Technical Support for further questions
- Lantronix xPico 240 Wi-Fi IoT Gateway Landing Page
- Lantronix Cypress Community Technical Forum
- Cypress Wireless Community Technical Forum
- xPico 240 Series Product Brief
- CYW43907 Datasheet
- xPico 200 Series Evaluation Kit User Guide (HTML)
- xPico 200 Series User Guide (HTML)
- xPico 200 Series SDK User Guide (HTML)
- xPico 200 Series Integration Guide (HTML)
- White Paper: Using IoT Device Gateways to Unlock Business Value from Legacy Machines
- Cypress & Lantronix Webinar: xPico 200 Series Evaluation Kit User Guide