This case study is from our strategic ecosystem partner, Laird Connectivity who leverage Cypress’ industry leading Wi-Fi/Bluetooth combo and Bluetooth stand-alone radio chipsets in their certified module portfolio.
Case Study Technology Focuses
- Features the Laird Connectivity Sterling-LWB
- Hosts the Cypress CYW4343W 802.11n + Dual-Mode Bluetooth Combo Radio
Case Study Description
Fashion Meets Function: Wi-Fi/Bluetooth Module and Services from Laird Connectivity Brought OPKIX’s Revolutionary Phone-Enabled Camera to Life
The sheer volume of video uploaded to the internet is truly astounding, and it shows no signs of slowing. For instance, over 300 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube every minute, and platforms like Facebook and Instagram are increasingly driven by video, with countless creators who make their content on the fly. The vast majority of that video is shot, edited, and uploaded through one device: the smartphone.
The innovative company OPKIX wanted to provide a fashionable, wearable, wireless camera that changes the way people shoot video. It would always be ready at the tap of a button for when that perfect moment arrives and could be charged in an attractive base unit.
OPKIX needed more than just a great idea and a great RF design – they needed a great partner to help get it done. There were lots of unknowns at this early phase:
- What wireless module would be the best fit?
- What does the finished product look and feel like in terms of material design?
- What does the road to regulatory compliance look like?
OPKIX was looking for solid answers to these critical questions. What they ultimately found was a partner in Laird Connectivity with a deep understanding of wireless, superior support, and experience bringing great technologies to market on a strict schedule.
OPKIX selected the Sterling-LWB Wi-Fi/Bluetooth combo module to introduce wireless connectivity between the base unit and smartphone. Laird’s Sterling-LWB hosts Cypress’ widely popular, market proven CYW4343W chipset radio delivering world-class RF performance and interoperability. This ensured reliable uploads and a delightful user experience.
OPKIX also took advantage of numerous other services that truly differentie Laird Connectivity in this space. They were able to replicate the base unit’s design with Laird Connectivity’s RF design services team and choose the perfect materials to produce an enclosure for the egg base and cameras. They utilized Laird Connectivity’s rapid tooling and injection molding services to get a prototype quickly. They also secured FCC Testing and approval quickly. They have even been able to work with Laird Connectivity’s software design team for Linux driver integration.
Overall, Laird Connectivity’s testing capabilities, regulatory expertise, hardware/software design, and prototyping combined with an industry-leading, reliable Wi-Fi/Bluetooth wireless solution from Cypress proved critical on the road to a successful launch of the OPKIX One.
Want to get started with the Laird Connectivity Sterling-LWB? Here is how:
1. Purchase a Sterling-LWB Eval Kit
- Sterling-LWB SD Card Dev Board with U.FL (MPN: 450-0155)
- Sterling-LWB SD Card Dev Board with Chip Antenna (MPN: 450-0156)
- Sterling-LWB for WICED Carrier Board (MPN: 450-0156)
2. Depending on your Eval Kit, download the user guide:
3. Review the resources below and download the Sterling-LWB Sensor Demo by completing this form here
- Laird Connectivity Sterling-LWB Product Page
- Laird Connectivity Community Space
- Cypress Wi-Fi/Bluetooth WICED Studio Space
- Sterling-LWB Product Brief
- Datasheet - Sterling-LWB
- Software, Sterling-LWB and LWB5
- Sterling LWB i.MX6 UltraLite Eval Kit Linux Integration User Guide
- Sterling-LWB Application Note Bluetooth Integration
- Sterling-LWB Module Application Guide
- Sterling-LWB Software Integration Guide (Android)
- Sterling-LWB Software Integration Guide (Linux Host)